Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hong Kong, Day 3: Briefer Random Thoughts

I think my brain has ceased to function:
  • Every whiff you take of Hong Kong is different from the last. I never realized how under utilised my nose was until I got here. There are some crazy stinky smells to be smelled.
  • There is an underlying social "class" system that is extremely obvious to any outside observer. It is manifest in the dialogue (or lack of), body language, and even the physical structures of Hong Kong. It is ... interesting.
  • I wonder if I stick out like a sore thumb? I look the same as these people (face, hair), but I wonder if I dress differently enough or speak differently enough.
  • For some reason, now that I am four days out of a French speaking area (Montreal), a lot of my French has come back to me. I was speaking to my bro in CODE (French) today as we bartered with the Chinese merchants (we assumed they could speak English).
  • It is freaking hot here and extremely humid -- I'm not sure how to deal with my boys: boxers give too much freedom (the slapping is annoying), and briefs are too restrictive (the "skin-to-sweat-to-skin" glue-feeling is annoying).
  • Here, I am officially a fat guy. No bones about it. Many of these people comparatively emaciated.
  • Jet lag blows. Big time. I can't even stay awake long enough to finish this (I've already fallen asleep twice).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home