Monday, May 01, 2006

Lessons from CHI: Part 3

Random shit will happen. How would you change your life or the way you treat loved ones if you knew you would die tomorrow? How would you change your life if you knew a loved one would die tomorrow? Sometimes, being an ear is the best profession.

Someone I consider a good friend, but who I really just met last year, S, got in a huge accident earlier this year -- as a pedestrian, she was struck by a car. She suffered major wounds, losing massive amounts of blood, and from what I understand, was barely spared her life. Amazing. Especially amazing that I didn't even know about it. Perhaps not that amazing, but startling. My friends and I picked up her spirits that night by asking her about what happened, listening, and then finally showing her a good time. On a more juvenille note, I would like to add that it was the first time I managed to get a girl to hop in a hot tub with me while wearing a white t-shirt. Excellent. Unfortunately, we had another girl in our group, who made her wear a black form fitting tank top underneath. Bummer. Anyway, we had a good time with her and had a lot of laughs. It was clear that we got through. It was a good feeling -- even if just to know that we got through just for the one evening.

I learned that people who are suffering really just want someone to be there. Too many people have insecurities about being uncomfortable with the interaction and therefore put it aside, making those who are suffering feel even more marginalized and alone. Suck it up and be a shoulder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home