Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Productivity is Relative"

My competitive nature has carried through to my grad school life: I only feel bad about not working on my thesis because I worry about others "getting ahead" and working on theirs.

Anyway, here's what I came up with to explain the rapid spread of "viral links" in the grad student community. The pseudo-mathness is for kicks. I have no idea if I used the words correctly.

Theorem 1: Productivity is relative.

Corollary 1: My productivity can be increased by slowing down those around me.

Corollary 2: My productivity can be measured by the extent to which others' productivity is inhibited.

2 Comments:

Blogger trishamafish said...

haha that's so true
i miss "working" with you guys! ;)

October 11, 2007 at 11:34 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder if that's a vicious circle. You slow others down in order to feel better about not working. Then others will notice that you don't work so they don't have to work and at the end nobody will work. Seems like a good strategy ;-).

October 11, 2007 at 1:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home