Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Famous People

Academia is interesting, because it makes rock stars out of geeks. Walking through a research facility or university, you will often pass by random people that look no different than the average Joe, but to his research community, is absolutely famous and adored.  It is interesting that "famousness" goes with the territory: if you're not in the research community, this guy's just an average Joe with average Joe problems.

Case in point, yesterday evening, I saw SUPER famous guy having to deal with his kids. The funny thing is that his kids will never really understand just how famous he his. To them, he's just, "Dad -- the guy who doesn't let me eat ice cream for breakfast."

1 Comments:

Anonymous PhD Tips said...

I think the right term should be "widely known in very narrow circles" ;). That fame often means very little if we are talking about financial aspect of it as well as society outside of the field.

BTW - I have a blog where I offer a very pessimistic perspective on academia: http://phdtips.blogspot.com/ Would you please add a ling to my blog? Thanks!

May 3, 2009 at 7:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home