Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Hong Kong: The Other Side

We have spent most of our time here in Hong Kong on the "Hong Kong Island," and yesterday ventured to Kowloon Bay, which is part of the "mainland" side of Hong Kong. Our uncle took us into Mongkok (get over the name, because it gets better), and like good tourists, my brother and I soaked up all that the underworld had to offer wholly and completely.

After showing us the kinds of scams that the electronics dealers try to pull (my uncle found a ~$1000 CDN item for 25% cheaper just half a block down), my uncle took us straight into hooker territory. The first thing that occurred to me in this "hooker territory" was (seriously): "Hey, that girl dresses like a girl in Canada." My uncle said to me (a little louder than I would have liked), "Yeah, that girl's a hooker. You can just tell by the way they dress."

It turns out that any yellow or pink sign in Hong Kong is a sign that basically says, "Come on up, we got prostitutes and stuff!" Many of the signs have 300 or 330 or something on them -- I'd assumed this was something like a street number, but my uncle dutifully informed me that these were in fact prices. Translated roughly, one of the signs said, "See what you want, touch what you want, do what you want." Probably they should be appended with, "Get something that you don't want," too.

The funniest thing was seeing a whole street of these yellow and pink signs (alas we were too timid to take a photo) -- basically an entire street of prostitution -- PLUS one blue sign -- a pharmacy. My uncle said, "To buy the condoms from."

More stories from Mongkok tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home